Tuesday, December 22, 2009

An aspiring Journalist-Writer


“When aspiring to be a Journalist-Writer passion should be above all qualifications.” Brian Baker is a Journalist that I was lucky to meet; through a “J-talk” that is part of my Journalism course. Not only a reporter for the Bloor West’s Town Crier, he is probably one of my best examples of a journalist that takes on a vast variety of topics among different genres. Namely current events, entertainment, sports, etc. Most of his work, the ones I’ve happened to look into was in the genre of sports. Reason being that is one of the categories I don’t have much interest in, most of which is because of its lack of creativity. However as I was browsing through Brian Baker’s pieces, I was amazed by how interested I was to continue reading. His writing played in my mind, like a black and white movie; it allowed me to think imaginatively while still giving me the facts. I believe the reason for this was because he gave bits of background information, prior to the actual story; therefore increasing the intensity of its importance. For example, a story he’s written, titled “Saintly resurrection”, just in the first 2-3 sentences he reeled in my attention.

After looking into Brian Baker’s variety of works, I’ve learned some things that are important in order to be a strong journalist.
1) Make WELL use of limited time
2) Have reasonable sources
3) Try going beyond limits
4) Because of online journalism information gets across fast; therefore try to look at stories from different perspectives
5) Have the ability to change writing style according to genre
6) Journalism is informative, but it’s means and sources are creative; so learn to manage both
7) Be competitive, try to improve writing style, and approaches to stories
8) But most importantly, write something in the quality you would want to look back and read yourself! Never be a sellout…

1 comments:

-cormac- said...

Brian Baker is not only a successful journalist, but he is very down to earth and always willing to help out aspiring journalists. He`s basically the man.

Post a Comment