I WISH I DISCOVERED HER A WHILE AGO!
Maddie White Feminist, and writer for the Toronto star, is truly someone I would have liked to have met, prior to the agony and torture I have undergone. Reason: my Gender. Maddie’s opinionated editorial, titled ‘Gender studies missing from high school’ has captivated my heart, but it has also left me distraught. Though moderate in concept, I believe it was a piece worth reading.
By using such sources as:
The Falconer report on violence in the Toronto District School BoardCentre for Addiction and Mental health-report on the psychological effects of violence at high schools in southwestern Ontario (Also known as: CAMH)
The Miss G project, (themissgproject.org)
She was able to show her audiences what was being done, and what wasn’t quite enough, to stop violence against young teens. Though she was refused an interview from her former high school teacher, by administration, she had not let this stop her from getting the information she needed to spread her news.
It is obvious that Maddie feels strongly about justice for women, it’s a tone that is easily identifiable in her writing. However when discussing matters on Violence in high school, it does not just happen to women, the same rule applies for men as well. Matter of fact in high school I believe it’s harder for men to admit that they are being abused in some way, because the pressure of looking ‘female’ like when “snitching” is applied. Also when she uses the ‘reports on violence’ which I believe is referred to both genders, she makes it relevant to only the female teens in high school. I understand that this piece is an opinionated editorial, though if you are going to use information it should be relevant to your specific topic. And when she used the ‘reports’, which I could only naturally assume was related to both genders. I thought she should have been writing about ‘Violence in high school’ rather than ‘Female violence in high school’. Over all Maddie White is ‘on the right track’ with her motives as a feminist, though she should be clearer of her intentions.
‘Gender studies missing from high school’ URL:

0 comments:
Post a Comment