During my visit to the Toronto Star;
I have discovered no matter which particular career you want to pursue in the Print Journalism business, whether it is a photographer, columnist, editor, etc. all require similar traits. Especially since print journalism is an interconnected business, that depends on each and every personal to get the paper out to local people.
Online journalism has swept the nation; therefore it put a lot of pressure on print journalism, and these pressures require print journalists to think of new ways to attract readers; to view or even continue reading the paper.
Journalists always have to be open to different types of point of view; especially since many people have separate ideology of what “attracts” the audience. Therefore Journalists should be able to be creative in approaching different views, creating new layouts for the paper, writing or re-writing a piece, or have the ability to recreate what has already been done; for a nearly approaching deadline.
There is no doubt that journalists have to work well under pressure, but more so they have to manage their time well. As in they have to prioritize what is most important to least. And put themselves in a position where they could quickly write or edit a piece. These obligations go as far to the extent that these journalists have to be open to eating lunch at their desks!
There isn’t news without sources; Journalists have to feel comfortable talking to new people almost every day in order to gain information and form strong or good contacts. Since news gets across to people very quickly it is important for each journalist to make themselves accessible to head quarters but more so, to get their information to head quarters as soon as possible. Sometimes getting the exclusive information requires journalists to put themselves in very bad situations such as war zones, scene of a crime, etc. Journalists have to be adaptable to almost any situation, or so it seems.
Overall being a journalist is very time consuming; it takes many hours, effort and a whole lot of team work and coordination to have a great quality production to reach local audiences. But during the course of my trip to the Toronto Star, and my experiences in life I’ve learned, that if you love what you do you would never be confined to time. Matter fact those hours would pass with mere simplicity, well… with a hint of tension. I may not know whether I have the ability or the attributes to be a journalist now; but I sure know how I should feel when I get to that point in my life, and everything else… shall formulate as the time comes.

1 comments:
I think you listed some things I forgot to add to my own post. Like how they need to be innovative and find new ways to gain readership. Also that they need good research skills and time-management skills. Thanks!
Post a Comment